NIC ONE AEROSOL KINGS. 1985 SUBWAY GRAFFITI ON THE NUMBER 6 TRAIN.


I painted this piece on the number 6 train back in 1985. The next time that I saw it was on the number 5 line. This was my third time that I painted a train. It ran on both train lines which made me feel very good, to have your work running and knowing that other writers might see it was the best feeling to have. Back in those days it was all about making a name for yourself. I had to get out there and put in the work. That’s what it was all about back then. Writers only responded to other writers so if I wasn’t out there doing the dam thing than I really wasn’t a writer. Staying home and just drawing in my black book or just writing around my way wasn’t being a real writer. I guess I owe TRACY 168 a whole lot in that regards because he pushed me to get my name up on the trains back when I was mostly interested in just getting up on the streets. Hitting the trains was the highest point of respect levels to have. I didn’t do a whole lot of subway trains but I was out there and what amount that I did do adds me to something special. I can proudly state that I come from a great movement, the Subway movement. Which is now an historic part of New York City and the Style Writing Culture that was born with in its gritty urban city dwellings, created by the young kids with nothing to grab onto and nothing positive to look towards but were able to make something special out of nothing much and making that so special that it would go global. 

Comments