(VIDEO). NIC ONE Hugh One Man Smash Session in the South Bronx


 My first full whole wall smash session, up in the South Bronx. I was majorly excited to paint this wall. On this one I chose to work from a base outline so all points stay to where I’d like them to go. Sometimes you have to work from a base outline. The letter style and flow was on point thanks to me following my outline. I rocked out on the background and for the character I followed the outline of him on paper. This was a Hugh wall for one person to paint all alone. It’s 50ft long and 9ft high. It was like painting a whole subway train car..lol.First I had to pull out all of the cement nails wile working on a ladder. Then I had to roll it with three coats of paint before I could even start my outline. As I starting working on it, (which took two weeks and four days.)  I instantly noticed how well the spray paint was taking to the wall and started to get very happy because the paint was covering like butter. I was happy with my priming work. Everything was going well, people from the neighborhood were passing by and giving me complements. Even the police would pass by and give me a thumbs up. I was ready if they wanted to have words with me, I had my painting permit on the ready. My days went smoothly and I was making steady progress. But at the very, very end of it all on my last day. I hurt my back and ended up in a lot of pain. I did manage to get the wall finished. I was doing some last bits of things to the wall, going up and down the ladder and as I was stepping off of it after making my last designs, I somehow stepped off of the ladder incorrectly and ended up with a sharp pain in my back. I sat on the ground next to the ladder breathing heavy and taking in my new found pain. I sat there until the pain died down and then slowly got up off of the floor. But the pain was hitting me hard again. I packed up my paint collapsed the ladder and slowly walked to the bus. That was one painful walk but I got there. I put a lot of myself into that wall. I probably put to much of myself into it and caused an unwanted injury to myself. I took several months off from any type of wall painting and just psychically worked out my pain strengthening my back. Today I’m fine and well. I know next time not to over work my self cause there’s no fun it that. Peace.

Comments