Black Book Work. An style exercise of the mind. 2011.



One of the things that I like to do from time to time is what I call flex my mind. When it comes to doing Graffiti it's a good idea from time to time to do other names. It's a great mental exercise one that truly can test your inside creative eye. I flex my mind as I stated because I tend to do a lot of NIC ONE pieces and well I tend to get bored with doing them. My mind starts to get a bit strained and stressed out form all of the crazy style dynamics that I tend to put into each and every piece. When I feel this way, that's when I switch things up a bit. I've come up with several side names to play around with just for style purposes. This one say's 2TERN. Switching off and doing other names is nothing new to me. I've been doing this since 1989. And I'm not the only one that does this style growth method, many of todays writers do the same thing. You might think, "Why do other names?" It's really simple, so your mind doesn't stall out on you creatively. Once you get comfortable doing something the same way or somewhat with in the same fashion the mind tends to perform in a sort of similar pattern. The trick or the way to not stay stuck in a style funk is to do things that you normally don't do. Draw your lines and your patterns as though it's something brand new to you. Yeah it might look a bit off beat, that's just because you may have done a style pattern for so long that something new feels odd, not just to you visually but to your creative eye. If you get that feeling then your doing something right. It's called being creative. So try it sometime and you might just start your own style journey like I have many years ago.

Comments